Balanced Body Receives Waste Reduction Award for Third Straight Year
Pilates manufacturing company recognized for its continued environmental awareness and outstanding waste-reduction efforts
Sacramento, Calif., March 15, 2012
Balanced Body®, the world’s largest Pilates company, was recognized for a third consecutive year with the 2011 Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP) award. The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) administers the WRAP award at the end of each year for companies with environmentally friendly business strategies.
“We recycled 74 percent of our waste – over 133 tons – which otherwise would have headed for the local landfill,” said Ken Endelman, Balanced Body founder and CEO. “If you plan properly it is much easier to go green today than it was 10 or 15 years ago. Going green is good for everyone’s business and the responsible thing to do for the world.”
The company resides in a “recycled” building (a former Army Depot). Balanced Body decided to go this direction instead of building an entirely new facility from the ground up. Balanced Body also now runs on 40-percent solar energy thanks to a 20-acre solar-panel field the company helped to make a reality at Depot Park.
Balanced Body employs many other green practices:
- Only sustainably harvested lumber is used for wood products (no tropical rainforest deforestation);
- Specialized cutting and laminating technology that maximizes lumber yield and minimizes waste;
- All plastic bags used are made from recyclable materials;
- Large equipment ships in specially designed cardboard crates instead of wood or metal containers, because cardboard is more easily recycled than wood;
- More than 50 skylights were installed to dramatically increase the amount of natural light;
- All light fixtures were replaced with new, more energy-efficient units;
- Successful emission containment through dust control systems;
- Air conditioning alternatives include adjusting work shifts. This helps provide a comfortable environment for employees in shop areas, which feature large open doors to maximize fresh air flow in warmer weather. It also eliminates the need to install an AC system.
WRAP provides an opportunity for California businesses and non–profit organizations to gain public recognition for their outstanding waste–reduction efforts and lets the community know the business takes waste reduction seriously.
About Balanced Body
Balanced Body thoroughly believes that movement can change people’s lives. We are the leading resource for Pilates equipment, information and education for fitness centers, studios, rehabilitation facilities and home users. Founded in 1976, the company was the first to substantially update Joseph Pilates’ equipment with state–of–the–art engineering, materials and technology. Ken Endelman, the company’s founder and president, has been awarded 26 U.S. patents for his inventions.
Headquartered in Sacramento, Calif., the company is the number one choice of clubs, spas and rehabilitation facilities worldwide, with an extensive line of equipment, training programs, accessories, books, and videos that meets the Pilates needs of any professional or home user. For more information, visit Balanced Body’s Web site at www.pilates.com or call 1-800-PILATES.