Pilates For Running
Run faster and farther with less chance of injury.
Whether you’re a competitive runner or weekend jogger trying to shed a few pounds, there’s no doubt that running is an easy way to keep in great cardiovascular shape. But your body can take a beating - this is especially true if it develops asymmetries.
Body asymmetries develop because of poor body mechanics, causing certain muscles to become overused (a common trait in runners), while others become underused. This can result in a variety of ailments from lower back pain to hip bursitis to arterior knee problems.
It can also lead to a wide variety of tears, strains and pulls.
Pilates exercises create a stronger, more flexible spine and core, and also promotes faster recovery from strains or injuries.
For a runner, posture is one of the key ingredients to success. And posture is very dependent on a strong core. Pilates develops a strong core by supporting and strengthening the muscles of the torso, hips shoulders and pelvis. These can eventually lead to a huge positive difference in your posture, technique, balance and stability. It enables you to focus on where your head and neck are in relation to the spine and pelvis, on down through the legs and toes. This all adds up to more efficient movement and less chance of injury.
Pilates exercises will:
- Build up the back muscles evenly
- Elongate and align the spine for better stability
- Expand the diaphragm
- Increase overall flexibility, strength, and balance
- Increase range of motion in hips and shoulders
- Enhance concentration through focused breathing
- Provide more upright running
- Help bodies recover faster from injuries
A stronger and more stable core helps a runner:
- Run more efficiently uphill with a stabilized musculature
- Run more efficiently downhill with a stronger and more balanced sciatic area
- Experience less tightening of the neck, head and shoulders
- Increase oxygenation and stamina with a diaphragm that is able to fully expand
- Focus on proper movement with better kinaesthetic awareness
- Decrease fatigue because of less strain on the body
- Shave seconds off your times because you move more efficiently
- Run without pain!
Suggested products for runners
Allegro® 2 Reformer
After thousands of hours of design and testing, we introduced the beautiful, very talented Allegro 2. Engineered and built for the rigors of commercial fitness, it is perfect for home, too. Quite simply, the Allegro 2 is the most intuitive, adjustable, easy-to-use Reformer on the market. And did we mention it’s incredibly beautiful? Starting at $2995.00.
MOTR® combines the comfort of a foam roller with the challenge of three weight level resistances, giving runners a challenging and incredibly diverse workout tool. Exercise categories include cardio, balance, functional training, mind-body, agility, strength training and more. All in a 43" tube! $349.00
Tower on the Go®
A challenging, resistance — based Tower workout is now as close as your nearest door with Tower on the Go®. Quick and easy to set up, with sturdy components that won’t scratch your door. Just wrap the two adjustable anchor straps vertically around any standard door, adjust the slider — clamps to your desired height, then clip on resistance bands or springs. You’re ready for a great workout!
Pilates IQ® Reformer
The Pilates IQ® sets up in seconds, then stores away under a bed or upright in a closet. With its sleek design, professional features, easy storability, and affordable price, the Pilates IQ is perfect for home. This is the only reformer available that shortens for storage and still provides a smooth carriage ride with no seams on the track! 2-year warranty for non-commercial use. From $1995.
Mats, Props and Accessories
- Ultra-Fit Circle® and Flex Ring Toner®
- Mats, Foam Rollers and Fit Balls
- Balance Boards and Rotator Discs
- Exercise Bands
- Reformer Foot Plates / Jumpboards
- We welcome you to browse our full online Store, or to call 1-800-PILATES (1-800-745-2837) for more on enjoying Pilates at home.
Pilates Mat for the Athlete
A dynamic, challenging workout for the athlete to build strength and flexibility. Easy to follow with smooth, yet vigorous transitions. Take your mat program to the next level with this challenging routine! Brought to you by Phi Pilates.